sábado

Rowing: Holiday over for Olympic rowers

For Great Britain's rowers, the holiday is over and the battle to make the 2012 team begins now.
Between this October and next August, they will have one Sunday off a month. Birthdays are missed, there is no chance for a quick weekend away, friends' weddings arranged around them.Miles and miles will be covered in the gym, on rowing machines known as "ergos" and out on the lake at GB rowing HQ in Caversham, and there are extremely tough training camps ongoing around Europe.





The olympic rowers has got three weeks holidays. I think that's a very short time, but it's also necessary. Fort they, sport is their job. In this case a job with only one free day at month.
I know that after three weeks without rowing the level has decrease a lot. It's cost more to make the same distance your are more tired in less time..

I'm sure they have a lot of pressure. This year the Olympics are in London and for they it would be great to win this time, beinig "at home". It's always more motivation if your make a regatta at your own city.

In the news they talk about ergo's... I know them well. It's a type of machine in the gym and it's like rowing. At the moment, when I go to the gym I make 15 minuts to warm up and later about intervals of 5 minuts, but with more force. Many people in the team don't like ergometre, but I think it's a good way to increase your strenght when it's raining or you can't be on the water.

I think that maybe this way to row ("mobile bank") it's less tireing than the meditarranea rowing. Their boats weight few quilos, a individually boat can be carry on with only one person. Our boats weight hunderts of quilos (I think about 400- 500 kg more or less). Obviously, we must make more force. Even so, I want to try the other way to rowing because it's more international and you can do it around the world.


No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario